- This event has passed.
Nederland Mining Museum
May 14, 2017 @ 11:00 am - 5:00 pm
An event every week that begins at 11:00am on Sunday, Friday and Saturday, repeating until October 29, 2017
Visit the Nederland Mining Museum and get a glimpse into the world of hard rock mining days in Boulder County during the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Learn about the lives of the miners of yesteryear.
- See the various “tools of the trade” and get a close-up look at the lives of the miners. Miners wore helmets equipped with lights to see in the mines; how did those change over the years? See how drills to do the mining changed as technology did.
- Ring a signal bell like the miners did to tell the hoist operator to bring them up and out of the mine.
- Dynamite was used to blast the precious metal-containing rock into smaller bits and out of the mountainsides and mines. How was dynamite stored and in what amounts could miners buy it?
- Learn about what was mined in Boulder County with the mineral display.
- See indoor and outdoor displays of trams, ore carts, engines, historic photographs and rare mining claim maps.
- You should also explore the Gillaspie House (at the corner of Bridge & 4th Streets) which is still operated by the Nederland Area Historical Society.
- The Nederland Mining Museum was created by the Nederland Area Historical Society. The Society operated the museum until the county purchased the artifact collection in the fall of 2012.